Each week you can expect to learn What’s New here on Greenroofs.com through our “This Week in Review” video. Here’s the transcript from May 27, 2011 from our daughter, Anjuli – click on the photo below to see the video, or here. Enjoy!
– Hello, I’m Anjuli Velazquez and welcome to This Week in Review for May 27th, 2011, on GreenroofsTV.
– Our project of the week is the Unilever Corporate Headquarters designed by HDR, Inc, built in 2009 located in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. The greenroof project is a 16,000 sq ft membrane roof retrofit over a 4-story office building, and the existing roofs needed to be replaced because they were leaking and showing signs of deterioration. Unilever desired a roofing system with an enjoyable appearance, considering its high level of visibility from the next door conference room space. A new “˜Hydrotech‘ monolithic membrane system with an extensive “˜LiveRoof‘ pre-vegetated tray system was used. A large variety of 15 types of Sedum and one Delosperma was planted. To learn more about the Unilever Corporate Headquarters greenroof, click on our project of the week photo on our homepage.
– Joblinks: Robert Ebl Inc is looking for a part-time Intern in the western suburbs of Chicago, IL.
– You can go to greenroofs.com/joblinks.htm more information on this job and other Green Roof Job postings.
– Advertiser Press Release: Thanks partly to Tremco Roofing and Building Maintenance, Local School and Students of The Kenton County School District in Kentucky have benefited from the state’s Largest Solar Electric Installation.
– LiveRoof and GreenFeathers, Inc. Announce Jenny Ruthven as the New Regional Sales Representative in the Pacific Northwest for the LiveRoof Hybrid Green Roof System.
– Manufactured by VAST Enterprises, Firestone SkyPaver™ Composite Roof Pavers were Selected for Projects in Illinois, Nebraska and Ohio.
– Alumasc Provides ZinCo Green Roof for Pioneering Eco-Spa.
– Make sure to read George Irwin’s latest article “The Next Add-On Service for Green Roofs and Green Walls“ where you can read about his “take on the latest profitable service for landscape contractors, roof garden and green wall professionals and garden lovers alike.
– Over at the Sky Gardens Blog, check out our new Guest Blog post by Matt Burlin, the Outreach Coordinator for Sustainable Stormwater Management with the City of Portland Environmental Services. He reminds us that June 1 is the deadline of the sixth round of the Ecoroof Incentive. Also see Linda’s latest posts for our GPW, the Unilever Corporate Headquarters, and last week’s “˜This Week in Review‘ on GreenroofsTV.
– “Upcoming Events“
– May 1st – July 31st: is the Integrated Habitat Design Competition (IHDC) 2011 in London, United Kingdom.
– May 27th – 29th: is ROOF INDIA 2011 in Mumbai, India.
– May 28th: is ARCSA’s 100-Level Workshop, Introduction to Rainwater Harvesting in Atlanta, Georgia.
– Also May 28th: is the Call for Papers Deadline for the WGIN’s Internationals Green Technology Symposium 2011 in Indore, India.
– May 28th – 30th: is Resilient Cities 2011 – World Congress on Cities & Adaptation to Climate Change in Bonn, Germany.
– June 1st: is the Application deadline to submit projects to the City of Portland Green Roof Incentive program.
– June 1st – 4th: is Growing Local – 19th Annual Congress for the New Urbanism (CNU) in Madison, Wisconsin.
And also June 1st – 4th: is the Green Roof for Heathy Cities – Green Roof Boot Camp in Chicago, Illinois.
– For more Upcoming Events visit our homepage.
– “In the News“
– Lorna Thorpe of The Guardian talks about “British Land – offering urban shelter and habitats for insects and rare birds.” She says, “British Land won over the judges for its contribution to local biodiversity – urban habitats that provide shelter and foraging for insects, rare birds and plants in the heart of London.” In one of the most effective ways to enhance biodiversity, British Land is setting the standard for biodiverse green roofs at many of its buildings; and over the past few years they have installed green roofs on all of its most recent office developments in central London, along with retrofitting them to some existing buildings.
– Andrew Michler of Inhabitat.com says that “Green-Roofed Minneapolis Central Library is a Civic Lesson on Eco Design.” Minneapolis has one of the greenest libraries and the third largest library collection per capita in the US. The Minneapolis Central Library by Pelli Clark Pelli hosts a huge atrium that splits the building into layers of light-filled spaces to help encourage visitors to find a nice book and stay awhile. A series of greenroofs, advanced cooling and heating systems, and low-energy lights cuts the library’s energy use by nearly a third, teaching everyone by example exactly how deep green design benefits everyone.
– Have something you think we should know about and post on our website? You can send us your green articles, videos and images to email@example.com.
– Stay up-to-date with what’s going on at Greenroofs.com by subscribing to our greenroofsTV channel on YouTube, following us on Twitter, liking us on Facebook and being a member of our network on LinkedIn.
– This has been This Week in Review for May 27, 2011 on GreenroofsTV. I’m Anjuli Velazquez and I’ll see you next week!
Did we miss something? We’d love to hear from you!
~ Linda V.