Each week you can expect to learn What’s New here on Greenroofs.com through our “This Week in Review” video. Here is the transcript from August 31 and September 7, 2012 from our daughter, Anjuli – click on the photo below to see the video, or here. Enjoy!
– Hello, I’m Anjuli Velázquez and welcome to “This Week in Review” for August 31st & September 7th, 2012 on GreenroofsTV.
– Our Project of the Week this week is the Origin Energy Greenwall Project, built in 2012 in Melbourne, Australia. The Origin Energy head office at 321 Exhibition Street is a commercial complex consisting of premium office and retail space, aiming to be the best practice in sustainability and energy efficiency through the design and installation of a state of the art trigeneration plant. The tallest greenwall in Australia was recently completed here by Mark Paul of The Greenwall Company.
Spanning 22 floors, each floor has its own unique planting make up, specifically designed to maximize varying angles and lighting. Utilizing non-biodegradable inorganic media, their greenwalls are grown with epiphytic and lithophytic plants which provide some of the country’s endangered species with a home in order to preserve their existence. And, the Greenwall Company builds its walls from 94% of recyclable materials.
– Our Project of the Week last week was the Central Park Praha, Phase 1, built in 2009, in Prague, Czech Republic. Located near the historic Prague city center, Central Park Praha is a new multi-family residential complex by designers A96 Architects and AED Project. Attractive exteriors and innovatively designed interiors are combined with environmental considerations and energy efficiency. The layout of the apartment complex was inspired by the natural environment, transforming its sharp features into a park through an artificial green embankment, which is actually a terraced building with greenroofs and faÃ§ades.
The greenroof connects the grounds of the park with the residential buildings and creates a seamless green transition. The pitched roofs were realized using the Optigreen “slope roof system type T,” an anti-slip system for roof slopes up to 45 °, necessary to keep the substrate and pre-cultivated sedum mats in place.
– To learn more about the Origin Energy Greenwall Project, click on our project of the week photo on our homepage (or on the above photos); and to learn more about the Central Park Praha, Phase 1, search project ID #1392 in our Projects Database.
– The Greenroofs.com eNewsletter
– Our August, 2012 eNewsletter was released last week, so be sure to check it out! Catch up on what was new in August, what we’ve been blogging about in our latest Sky Gardens posts, Advertiser Press Releases and more! Or, subscribe now.
– We’d like to welcome two new advertisers here at Greenroofs.com! Basques Hardwood Charcoal is a manufacturer of a horticultural amendment for rooftop media.
– And Vector Mapping/IR Analyzers has been performing vector mapping integrity testing since 1984.
– Make sure to read Steven Peck’s guest feature article, “10th Anniversary – CitiesAlive Returns to Chicago To Celebrate and Plan Ahead“ all about the upcoming event in October – register by September 15 to receive the Early Bird Discount!
– Optigreen International (AG) has developed a new Green Roof system: Retention Roof Meander 30.
– Over at Sky Gardens, check out Linda’s latest posts: “The World Green Roof Congress, Copenhagen 2012 in 3 Weeks!” and “Greenroofs.com’s “˜This Week in Review’ on GreenroofsTV: August 24, 2012.”
– The NRCA is offering a new LEED Guide entitled “A Roofing Professional’s Guide to LEED ®” which includes specifics about vegetative roofing points.
– “Upcoming Events“
– Going on since September 1-30: is the 9th Annual Architecture and the City Festival in San Francisco, CA.
– September 6th-9th: is the 2012 Waterproofing Contractors Association (WCA) Fall Convention, in Myrtle Beach, SC.
– September 11th-14th: is the CONSTRUCT2012 and the CSI Annual Convention, in Phoenix, AZ – Follow on Twitter: @CONSTRUCTshow #CONSTRUCT
– September 12th: is the Greenroof Design & Construction Workshop, Wetland Studies & Solutions, in Gainesville, VA.
– September 13th-14th: is the European Conference on Sustainable Renovation of Buildings, in Karlsruhe, Germany.
– And September 15-16 is the 10th Annual San Francisco Living Home Tours.
– “In the News“
– James Bruggers of The Courier-Journal Blog, talks about “Louisville Housing Authority shows off new green roof.” Louisville Metro Housing Authority’s Vine Street administration building features a new green roof with more than 1,200 plantings, including different grasses, ground coverings, serviceberry trees and various types of bushes; and it cost less than a traditional roof replacement.
It also has a walkway and benches for its building occupants to take a break and enjoy the lovely view it offers while it is helping to reduce the urban heat island effect. This new sustainable addition will save on the building’s energy cost all year long, keeping it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
– The staff at Buffalo Rising says, “NFTA Bus Shelter Gets A Living Green Roof.” eco_logic STUDIO, the company behind this project, said that this bus shelter is “a demonstration project for NFTA utilizing an existing bus shelter. In the last year NFTA has installed about 100 PV systems on bus shelters. This is the first green roof!”
Just some of the benefits this green roof will help to do are to absorb pollution and put back clean air in the environment, help keep the inside of the shelter cool in the summer and help to improve rain retention.
– To learn more about these stories and new ones posted daily, go to our In the News or Newslinks section of our website.
– Send us your green articles, videos and images to firstname.lastname@example.org and share your greenroof or greenwall info with the world! – Make sure to keep up with everything Greenroofs.com by following us on Twitter, liking us on Facebook, being a member of our network on LinkedIn, and subscribing to our greenroofsTV channel on YouTube!
– This has been This Week in Review for August 31st & September 7th, 2012 on GreenroofsTV. I’m Anjuli Velázquez and I’ll see you next week! *This week’s episode is sponsored by The Greenroof Directory, brought to you by Greenroofs.com.*
Did we miss something? We’d love to hear from you!
~ Linda V.