In celebration of honoring Earth Day 2015 and our planet’s ecology through healthy, regenerative design, we are highlighting each of the 23 awesome videos from our 30+ spectacular speakers from Greenroofs.com‘s Greenroofs & Walls of the World Virtual Summit 2015 ~ Connecting the Planet with Living Architecture: People, Projects & Design, running through May 31st.
Our hope is that by familiarizing you more with each presentation and its particular benefits, you will be enticed to join us during our wonderfully easy-to-navigate online Virtual Summit! And, along with the speakers’ input, I will identify 5 Key Learning Objectives or “takeaway” bullet points that each video presentation provides to participants.
Today we are spotlighting the individual presentation “Beyond Extensive and Intensive: Defining the Comprehensive Green Roof” from the well-spoken and highly motivated Molly Meyer, GRP, founder of Omni Ecosystems.
We first met Molly several years ago in 2007 when she was still a student immersed in green roof technology and had interned with a German greenroofing company, Optigreen, to get hands-on experience. After working for a few years with colleagues here in the U.S., she and her business partner then started their own company, Omni Ecosystems in 2009, as well as created their own system.
She says comprehensive green roofs bring the most advantageous qualities of intensive and extensive green roofs together. Comprehensive green roofs support plant varieties typically seen in intensive green roofs at the depth and weight of extensive green roofs.
Chicago, IL, USA. “Molly Meyer is the CEO and Founder of Omni Ecosystems, which infuses the urban experience with nature. Omni leads the living infrastructure industry by providing the highest quality green roofs and green walls to create elegantly simple solutions to complex ecological questions.
Molly invented Omni’s patented living wall panel and patent-pending green roof drainage system. She analyzed, designed, and installed all varieties of green roofs as a Robert Bosch Fellow in Germany, and brought her expertise in Germany’s mature green roofing industry to the U.S. when she founded her firm in 2009. Molly earned her B.S. and M.S. in Earth Systems from Stanford University, and worked as a carpenter for Edifice Construction. Molly is also the Co-Founder and Co-Manager of The Roof Crop, LLC, based in Chicago, IL.” ~ Read her complete bio here from the VS2015.
You will benefit from these 5 Key Learning Objectives as Molly Meyer shares on the subject:
1) Background of authors/designers – Mike Repkin: An ecological designer who studied microbiology and was in the U.S. Army, he is one of the founders of Urban Habitat Chicago and its executive director and co-founded Omni Ecosystem and Rooftop Greenworks; Molly Meyer has been in greenroofing since 2007 while in Germany, building greenroofs for a landscaping company and working for a supplier. Back in the U.S., she designed, installed and maintained all types of German and U.S. systems; formed Omni Ecosystems to fit Mike’s development in growing media with best practices in greenroof technology;
2) Definition of the new design type of comprehensive green roof system: depths; saturated weights; physical, chemical, and biological properties of growing media; plant options; irrigation; maintenance; stormwater retention; and costs;
3) Comparison of comprehensive to extensive, intensive, and semi-intensive green roofs providing technical differences from existing design categories as well as giving further information on its application;
4) Implications of the new umbrella design type offering the best qualities, including both tray & built-in systems. In particular abundant food production in shallower growing media depths is very exciting to promote rooftop farming and increase ROI;
5) Their Vision: How their goal to “democratize greenroofs” by making them more cost effective, biodiverse, and lightweight will benefit everyone.
Watch the 16:10 video presentation “Beyond Extensive and Intensive: Defining the Comprehensive Green Roof” now playing at the Greenroofs & Walls of the World Virtual Summit 2015. If you have not yet registered (only $49 or 25), please do:
$49 – special discounted pricing;
$25 for students/faculty and government professionals
All Video Presentations, Q & A Transcripts, & Exhibitor Booths are On Demand +
Networking Live 24/7 through May 31, 2015
Earn CEUs including 10 GRP CEUs. Register here.
Registration Open through May 31st for the Greenroofs.com Virtual Summit 2015
We hope you will support our work! Please remember that these video presentations will not be made public for at least one year.
Happy watching and participating,
~ Linda V.
Learn more about these awesome video presentations and their 5 Key Learning Objectives at the Greenroofs & Walls of the World Virtual Summit 2015:
“A Green Building Should Look Green, Which Means Hairy!” by Dr. Ken Yeang.
“Biodiversity in the Sky – How Green Roofs Can Be Designed as Wild Life Refuges” by Dr. Stephan Brenneisen.
“Green Roofs to New Cities” by Dr. Diana Balmori.
“A Higher Purpose – Benefits to Human Health and Education through Green Roofing” by Elizabeth Hart.