In celebration of honoring Earth Day 2015 and our planet’s ecology through healthy, regenerative design, we are highlighting each of the 23 awesome videos from our 30+ spectacular speakers from Greenroofs.com‘s Greenroofs & Walls of the World Virtual Summit 2015 ~ Connecting the Planet with Living Architecture: People, Projects & Design, running through May 31st.
Our hope is that by familiarizing you more with each presentation and its particular benefits, you will be enticed to join us during our wonderfully easy-to-navigate online Virtual Summit! And, along with the speakers’ input, I will identify 5 Key Learning Objectives or “takeaway” bullet points that each video presentation provides to participants.
After finishing our keynote videos on Friday, today we start with the Individual, Collaborative, & Panels and are spotlighting the individual presentation “A Higher Purpose – Benefits to Human Health and Education through Green Roofing” from the lovely Elizabeth Hart, CDT, GRP, Manager of Tremco’s North American Green Roof Program.
Liz is such a gentle, highly knowledgeable, and personable being with a quick smile and elegant sense of others as well as self – and she is passionate about greenroofing!
Liz learned a lot about the patient experience during her years of working in a medical clinic while in college and led to her inspiration for changing the “nature” of healthcare facilities. As a result, she has centered many of her efforts within this industry and shares how greenroofing helps to heal both the environment and humanity.
Portland, OR, USA. “As the Manager of Tremco’s North American Green Roof Program, Elizabeth Hart promotes environmental and economic sustainability through green roofs and living walls. She works closely with architects, contractors, and building owners on the design, installation, and maintenance of over 100 green roofs. Elizabeth received a B.S. in Sustainable Development and Botany from Appalachian State University, focusing on phytoremediation of polluted sites.
She is a founding and active member of the Green Roof info Think-tank (GRiT), a network of over 400 businesses, government agencies, researchers, and community members committed to growing the collective knowledge base for on-structure vegetation.” ~ Read her complete bio here from the VS2015.
You will benefit from these 5 Key Learning Objectives as Elizabeth Hart shares on the subject:
1) Her ICU Revelation: Green spaces have the power to heal. Learn how the atmosphere of a healthcare facility can truly affect patient outcome and about the numerous opportunities to actively heal environments and people through introduction of vegetation;
2) How her degree in phytoremediation prompted her entrance into greenroofing;
3) Research: Roger Ulrich, PhD studied how the access to nature affects the healing process. Evidence covers 3 measures: Clinical Indicators, Subjective Measures, and Economic Measures – hear the specific, measurable benefits of green spaces;
4) Healthcare has a unique advantage with many opportunities for greenroofs & walls because of how they are built and with so much dead roof space. Why many hospitals are choosing greenroofs: Sustainability: Making hospitals greener; Longevity: Extending the membrane life; Positive market identity with a greenroof;
5) Case studies: Providence St. Mary’s in Walla Walla met sustainability goals and learned what is good for the earth is good for the patient by adding value for the patients, family & staff; hear from the Director of Plant Operations, a former nurse and Chair of Green Team, and a current patient. Edison Language Academy, Los Angeles added 5 greenroofs, 4 accessible: Garden-based learning offers students many advantages. Habitat roof gardens were designed by a school mother and landscape architect – hear from her how kids take lessons outside of the classroom, see cycles of nature, and benefit from vegetative roofs.
Watch the 23:19 video presentation “A Higher Purpose – Benefits to Human Health and Education through Green Roofing” now playing at the Greenroofs & Walls of the World Virtual Summit 2015. If you have not yet registered (only $49 or 25), please do:
$49 – special discounted pricing;
$25 for students/faculty and government professionals
All Video Presentations, Q & A Transcripts, & Exhibitor Booths are On Demand +
Networking Live 24/7 through May 31, 2015
Registration Open through May 31st for the Greenroofs.com Virtual Summit 2015
We hope you will support our work! Please remember that these video presentations will not be made public for at least one year.
Happy watching and participating,
~ Linda V.
Learn more about these awesome video presentations and their 5 Key Learning Objectives at the Greenroofs & Walls of the World Virtual Summit 2015:
“A Green Building Should Look Green, Which Means Hairy!” by Dr. Ken Yeang.
“Biodiversity in the Sky – How Green Roofs Can Be Designed as Wild Life Refuges” by Dr. Stephan Brenneisen.
“Green Roofs to New Cities” by Dr. Diana Balmori.