We’re very pleased that our international readership loves our “Project of the Week” feature!
We feel it’s a great way to get everyone interested in a variety of different types of greenroofs and greenwalls from across the world. And, the weekly eBlast to our 10,000+ opt-in eNewsletter subscribers is meant to give everyone just a bit of info – tantalizing enough so people click it to see the entire profile in The International Greenroof & Greenwall Projects Database.
Our Projects Database has been up and open to the world since 2004, evolving from the “International and North American Case Studies” portion of my initial 1999 independent UGA research study “Greenroof Technology: A Viable Roofing Alternative” that was the basis for Greenroofs.com. The initial 30 or so profiles have grown to over 1,600 and counting, and we feel sharing these is an important learning experience for us all.
Our Project of the Week feature started in March, 2006 when we selected the Phillips Eco-Enterprise Center (PEEC) – now Greenway Office Building – profile, above, submitted by Peter MacDonagh of The Kestrel Design Group. In 2008 we displayed our first Greenwall Project of the Week, Anthropologies, below, submitted by George Irwin of Green Living Technologies.
As you probably know, we now create an exclusive 2 to 2.5 minute video for each “Project of the Week” where it not only plays on our GreenroofsTV channel on YouTube as well as the actual weekly eBlast, but we also blog about it, and highlight it on our site – plus on all our Social Media sites.
Since we get so many requests about how we actually select our “Projects of the Week” here on Greenroofs.com, plus it’s been over 10 years since I last blogged about it, here we go again:
So, what do we need before we select the “Project of the Week” feature?
- First of all, we have to have a profile for it in The International Greenroof & Greenwall Projects Database! If we don’t have it, we don’t know about it. Submit Yours using the easy online form, a Word doc, Excel Sheet, or more.
- The profile needs to be complete, with LOTS of information – the more, the better! Try not to leave anyone’s participation out.
- We need a minimum of 15 – 18 hi-res photos of different angles, including close-ups and at least one building shot (unless it’s private and you just don’t want it shown). While each profile only holds up to 11 photos and/or graphics, we need at least 4 – 7 more for the video. Regarding photos: you MUST have permission to use them – do NOT send us copyrighted material unless you have permission from the photographer/owner in writing. There are many “photo trolls” out there – lawyers pouncing on people because they thought they had permission or inadvertently “borrowed” photos off the web without explicit permission; Greenroofs.com cannot be held liable for unapproved photo usage. Please include credits, too.
How do we select the “Project of the Week” feature? Once we have all of the above, these are the general guidelines:
- The project needs to be visually interesting, appealing, or important in some way! Aesthetics are taken into consideration as this is living architecture! Remember the living part – the actual plants of the greenroof or wall – and showcase the best features. And people want details!
- We try and vary between greenroofs and greenwalls – but since we have so many more living roof projects, the ratio of greenroofs to greenwalls is much greater.
- We try to vary: the location in the world, size, type of project (extensive, intensive), building application (commercial, educational, research, municipal, multi/single-family residential, etc.) , system (built-in place, modular, custom or living wall vs. green facade, etc.), designers, manufacturers, providers, etc., plus drivers and more.
- When possible, I’ll highlight a project that has something going on that week or month. For example, we’ve been showcasing New York City projects in anticipation of CitiesAlive next month in The Big Apple.
- We try to highlight the people who support our work more by selecting our advertisers about 4:1 over non-advertisers.
- But everyone is welcome! The point is to continue to create a free global resource for greenroof and greenwall projects worldwide – and spotlight one really awesome one per week.
Believe it or not, sometimes it just boils down to having a 100% completed profile! If you think it’s hard for you to get all of these photos and info together for one project, imagine how we stressed we get sometimes trying to have a project ready to go with all of the bells and whistles – every week.
We appreciate everyone’s time and commitment to making The International Greenroof & Greenwall Projects Database as complete, and open and accessible as possible – why not showcase one of your own projects?
To see all of the projects we’ve chosen since January, 2013, check out our Projects of the Week Gallery page. To watch the videos, which we started in February of 2014, visit Greenroofs & Greenwalls Projects of the Week on our YouTube channel.
The Greenroof/Greenwall Project of the Week feature on Greenroofs.com is a great way to have readers – design professionals, media, stakeholders, government, researchers, students, and potential clients – see what’s been done, where, how, and by whom. Search The International Greenroof & Greenwall Projects Database for yourself!
If you have any questions, just email us at [email protected] or call 888.477.1326 or 770.772.7334.
~ Linda V.