|Nanyang Technological University (NYU) is a major research university in Singapore, and the School of Art, Design and Media is Singapore's first professional art school. The university's main 200-hectare garden campus, known as the Yunnan Garden campus, is in the south-western part of the island. It houses Singapore's largest on-campus residence infrastructure including 16 halls of residence for undergraduates and a graduate hall. NTU was the Olympic Village for the first-ever Youth Olympic Games in 2010. Its mission is to nurture creative and entrepreneurial leaders through a broad education in diverse disciplines (Wikipedia).|
"This 5 story facility sweeps a wooded corner of the campus with an organic, vegetated form that blends landscape and structure, nature and high-tech and symbolizes the creativity it houses...The curving green roofs distinguish the building from among the other structures on campus but the line between landscape and building is blurred. The roofs serve as informal gathering spaces challenging linear ideas and stirring perception. The roofs create open space, insulate the building, cool the surrounding air and harvest rainwater for landscaping irrigation. Planted grasses mix with native greenery to colonize the building and bond it to the setting," (Inhabitat, 2008).
|Referring to the greenroof on the School of Art, Design and Media, the NTU website says:|
- Verdant turfed roof blends into the lush greenery and environment. - Turfed landscape as scenic outdoor communal space.
- Green roof lowers both the roof temperature and ambient temperature hence reduce heat gain to the air conditioned building.
- The building is oriented with its facades facing north and south to minimize solar gain.
- High efficiency discharge lights are adopted throughout the building.
- The rain water collection system is fitted on the green roof for irrigation.
- The rain sensors are installed on the green roof to automate the irrigation process whereby irrigation is ceased when it rains.
- The curved building is embracing a courtyard with water features and plants. The reflection of the trees and nature can been seen on the all-glass exterior.
Nanyang Technological University received the Green Mark Platinum Award from the Singapore Building and Construction Authority (BCA) for adopting best practices in environmental sustainability in May, 2011.
Additional thumbnail photos:
|Visit the School of Art, Design and Media at Nanyang Technological University Home Page. Read the May 19, 2011 PHYSorg Science News Wire Press Release "NTU wins Platinum Award from BCA for sustainable design," "Amazing Green Roof Art School in Singapore" by Ali Kriscenski in Inhabitat from January 23, 2008, via DesignFlute - see "green turfed roofscape" of January 11, 2008 here.|
|The Greenroof Projects Database is published, designed, and maintained by|
Greenroofs.com, LLC, Copyright © 2010. All rights reserved.