Each week you can expect to learn What’s New here on Greenroofs.com through our “This Week in Review” video. Here’s the transcript for April 22, 2011 from our daughter, Anjuli – click on the photo below to see the video, or here. Enjoy!
– Hello, I’m Anjuli Velazquez and welcome to This Week in Review for April 22nd, 2011, Earth Day, on GreenroofsTV.
– Our project of the week is the Cook+Fox Architects Office built in 2006 in New York, NY. The Cook+Fox Architects decided to set a greener, healthier example with a roof that absorbs stormwater, lowers surface temperature, and benefits both the local ecosystem and the human environment. The firm was interested in a flexible system that could allow for a custom shaped greenroof, and the Green Paks were a perfect fit. In December 2006, the new Cook+Fox office was officially awarded Platinum certification under LEED for Commercial Interiors. Cook+Fox designed its project in collaboration with Green Roof Blocks, a St. Louis, Missouri-based roofing company, but was able to contribute most of the labor needed for installation from their own architects and staff, substantially reducing the cost of the project. The greenroof has become a highlight of the office and a valuable educational tool for clients, visitors, and employees.
– To learn more about Cook+Fox Architects, LLP Office, click on our project of the week photo on our homepage, read Linda’s blog post on Sky Gardens or watch the premiere of our Sky Gardens ~ Greenroofs of the World WebTV episode featuring the Cook+Fox Architects Office now playing on our homepage, greenroofsTV page and on our greenroofsTV YouTube channel!
– “What’s New“
Submitting a photo for our 2011 “Love the Earth, Plant a Roof!” Earth Day Photo Contest has been extended to next Friday, April 29th – so go to our Facebook page and keep submitting your greenroofs and walls photos and tell your friends and family to vote!
– Be sure to read Linda’s Sky Gardens Blog posts “Our New Sky Gardens ~ Greenroofs of the World WebTV Video Premiere & GPW: Cook+Fox Architects, LLP,” “Cradle to Cradle & Inhabitat’s Green Giveaway,” and “Greenroofs.com’s “˜This Week in Review’ on GreenroofsTV: April 15th, 2011.”
– The American Institute of Architects (AIA) and its Committee on the Environment (COTE) have selected the top ten example of sustainable architecture and green design solutions that protect and enhance the environment. And three of those 10 have greenroofs! Congrats to Cherokee Studios, First Unitarian Society Meeting House and the Vancouver Convention Centre West for their achievements!
– “Upcoming Events“
– April 27th: GRHC’s GRP Exam will be held in Toronto, Canada.
– April 27th-28th: are Tremco Roofing & Maintenance Division – Educational Seminars for Environmental Excellence, 2-day High Performance Buildings Expo in Toronto, Canada.
– April 27th-29th: is the Living Future – The UNconference for Deep Green Professionals in Seattle, WA.
– April 28th: Building Green Expo & Workshops in New York, NY.
– April 28th-29th: is the ASLA Texas Chapter – Regional Conference & Expo in Galveston, TX.
– And on April 28th-May 1st: is the GRHC: Green Roof Boot Camp in New York, NY.
– “In the News“
– Joe Peach of This Big City Blog asks, “Is the World’s Greatest Green Roof in Warsaw, Poland?” He says, “Warsaw is Poland’s biggest city…and with its violent history now something of the past, the city has been able to refocus, positioning itself as a metropolitan hub linking west and east Europe.” One way that has happened is with the University of Warsaw’s Library: a building with an impressive green roof that is also an urban park.
– Tracey Lindeman of the Montreal Mirror talks about “Life from above.” Lufa Farms and the Rooftop Garden Project make eating local an urban reality by installing their own rooftop garden and rooftop greenhouse. “It’s farming for geeks,” says Kurt Lynn, co-founder of Lufa farms. But actually, its 21st century community-supported agriculture: food grown on a roof just around the corner from the people who eat it.
– Have something you think we should know about and post on our website? You can send us your green articles, videos and images to email@example.com.
– Stay up-to-date with what’s going on at Greenroofs.com by subscribing to our greenroofsTV channel on YouTube, following us on Twitter, liking us on Facebook and being a member of our network on LinkedIn.
– This has been This Week in Review for April 22nd, 2011 on GreenroofsTV. I’m Anjuli Velazquez and I’ll see you next week!
Did we miss something? We’d love to hear from you!
~ Linda V.