According to the Offical Killarney National Park website, “Situated in northwest Donegal, the core area of Glenveagh National Park was formerly an enormous private estate of over 9,500 hectares in extent. The present day National Park now includes elements of another large estate and has a total area of over 16,500 hectares, making it Ireland’s largest. Perhaps the outstanding feature of Glenveagh is its wilderness character with the sense of remoteness and solitude that it conveys to the visitor. The Park was opened formally in 1986 and, from the purpose-built Visitor Centre, visitors travel by Park transport along the shores of Lough Veagh to Glenveagh Castle (built in 1870 by George Adair) and its outstanding gardens, which are both open to the public.”
The aim for the interpretive centre was to blend the building into its natural surroundings, and it was completed in July, 1983. The centre has 150,000 visitors per year.
The Glenveigh National Park Centre roof was covered with native sod of heather species from the national park. Although it was planned in the eighties and construction was basic, it’s still very functional today.