Position: Horticulture & Maintenance Manager
Company: Living Roofs Inc
Location: Asheville, NC, USA
Founded in 2006, Living Roofs Inc. is an established leader in the field of green roofs and living walls. Our team designs, installs, and maintains these critical green infrastructure facilities throughout the Southeast. Our work on commercial, residential, and public projects reduces stormwater runoff, promotes biodiversity, and provides access to nature for people to enjoy the environment in rural and urban communities from the mountains to the coast.
The Horticulture & Maintenance Manager is a permanent full-time position responsible for managing all aspects of plant ordering, plant installations, and on-going green roof and living wall maintenance.
- Reserve, order, and purchase plants for new installations and plant replacements
- Track project schedule and coordinate plant deliveries with nurseries and installation team
- Ensure proper transport, handling, and staging of plant material prior to installation
- Receive plant material and observe for compliance with project requirements
- Interpret planting plans and place or lay out plants accordingly
- Oversee and participate in plant installations, ensuring adherence to best practices
- Prune trees and shrubs properly after planting
- Hand water plants at installation and setup temporary irrigation as required
- Manage all aspects of green roof and living wall maintenance accounts (~50)
- Identify and mechanically remove weeds, inspect and clear debris from around roof drains
- Ensure plant community establishment and on-going maintenance goals are met
- Plan and coordinate maintenance schedule, communicate with team and clients
- Document jobs thoroughly, including Maintenance Visit Reports and Annual Client Reports
- Maintain irrigation systems, base layers, substrate layers, and hardscape components
- Collect soil samples, interpret reports, and apply soil amendments as required
- Transport crew members, equipment, and materials, arrange overnight travel accommodations
- Always ensure crew safety and adherence to the company’s Safety Program
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities:
- 3 years of specialized horticulture experience or documented horticulture education or training
- Previous management experience
- Acute design sensibilities, capacity to make design decisions and adjustments in the field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, strong attention to detail
- Thorough knowledge of Southeast and Mid-Atlantic native, noxious, and invasive plants
- Experience assessing irrigation system performance and performing repairs
- Strong computer skills, fluency with Microsoft Office and Google Suite
- Comfortable working outdoors in all types of weather, ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to travel frequently, must have a valid driver’s license and a clean record
Compensation: Starting salary $52,000. Benefits include 8 paid holidays, 10 days PTO, and opportunity to participate in company retirement plan with 3% employer match. Employees traveling overnight will receive a Per Diem for meals & incidental expenses.
Job Type: Full Time
To Apply: Please visit our Careers page (https://www.livingroofsinc.com/careers) to apply, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume.