Position: Green Roof Designer
Company: Recover Green Roofs
Location: Somerville, MA
Hours: Full-Time (32-45 hrs./wk.)
Compensation: Competitive, hourly, based on relevant experience and education
Benefits: Health Insurance, Dental, Telephone, Gym, PTO, Sick, Holidays, Continuing Education, Gear
Recover seeks a qualified applicant for a full-time, year-round Green Roof Designer. This position requires the ability to think adaptively, communicate effectively, and work collaboratively while carrying out tasks independently. This role requires a wide range of responsibilities, including but not limited to the following:
- Design and drafting for green roof and rooftop amenity space projects.
- Schematic design through construction documentation for design projects.
- Shop drawings and as-builts for build projects.
- Develop plant palettes and planting plans.
- Act as first point of contact for design clients and generate design proposals.
- Perform site visits and field dimensioning.
- Assist project managers project coordination tasks such as generating submittals and RFIs.
- Maintain and help develop Recover’s design protocol.
- Occasionally assist in hands-on onsite field work and maintenance under the direct supervision of Recover Project Manager(s), including but not limited to: lifting objects of up to or approximately 50lbs; working on roofs in adverse weather conditions; handling, applying, and/or being exposed to fertilizers and/or potentially hazardous materials; and/or performing non-routine overnight travel based on business needs or on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Proficiency in CAD drafting software.
- Significant work experience in design and drafting for an architecture, landscape architecture, design/build or construction firm.
- Degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Environmental Design, or strongly related field.
- Strong ability to read and understand construction documents.
- Must be able to demonstrate a good understanding of basic graphic design and graphic communication principles.
- Must be reliable with a strong ability to both take direction and work independently.
- Must have excellent powers of communication and critical thinking skills.
- Must have an innate attention-to-detail and the ability to self-pace.
- Must have good references that can attest to your work ethic.
- Experience with Vectorworks is desirable but not required.
- Experience in building or landscape construction.
- Hand rendering and sketching skills.
- Experience with 3d modeling software.
- Knowledge of horticulture and local plant species.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
This position may be exposed to an array of working environments, from our office in Somerville to open-air roofs exposed to high temperatures and/or rain.
About Recover Green Roofs:
Recover is a dynamic Boston-based green roof construction company working with clients to design, build, and maintain green roofs and living walls throughout New England. Recover works with a wide variety of clients — from universities and commercial developers to private homeowners. We are committed to being an equal opportunity employer and will never discriminate against applicants or employees based on age, race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression, ancestry, genetic information, physical or mental disability, veteran status, military or uniform service membership, or any other as yet unmentioned legally recognized basis.
How to apply:
If you’re passionate about green roofs and sustainable design and have a desire to contribute to creating more sustainable cities, and want to work with a rad group of people, this is a special opportunity to grow with a great company! To apply, please email your resume and portfolio along with a note explaining why you think this position would be a good fit for you to email@example.com and use the subject heading “Green Roof Designer.”