Furbish is Hiring a Green Roof Stewardship Operations Manager
Position: Green Roof Stewardship Operations Manager
Location: Washington, DC, USA
Furbish provides Furnish, Install, and Maintenance services for living roofs, living walls, and other ecological building systems. Our Stewardship Department executes the ongoing maintenance for these green systems. We maintain crews from the Baltimore office and from the DC location.
Green Roof Stewardship begins when a green roof installation is complete, or when we are contracted by a property owner/manager to take over the maintenance of an existing green roof. Our Stewardship team is responsible for establishing and maintaining healthy vegetative coverage and providing reliable ongoing care of the green roof system. Routine Stewardship services include weeding, nutrient management, pruning, replanting, irrigation (when needed), system repair, overburden removal/replacement, site clean-up, and reporting. We use the term “Stewardship” because our approach is to offer oversight of evolving ecology.
The Stewardship Operations Manager role is located in Washington, DC, and regionally is responsible for management of the DC warehouse. The successful candidate is responsible for the green roof maintenance field operations across the department, in both Washington, DC and Baltimore.
Director of Stewardship
- Always maintains safety as the highest priority. Holds OSHA-10 or OSHA-30 training, and is responsible for establishing, training, and maintaining the Green Roof Stewardship Safety Program.
- Expert in all aspects of Foreman responsibilities and duties. Is technically competent in all aspects of Stewardship work. Field work per week ranges from 50-80%.
- Demonstrates leadership skills. Manages field staff and inspires growth of all subordinate personnel. Keeps Foremen to a high standard for preparation, communication, job execution and administrative tasks. Mentors Foremen for expanded opportunities and advancement. Inspires Maintenance Technicians to grow into roles with added responsibility.
- Manages schedule for high volume of customers. Responsible for allocating crews with appropriate labor hour allotment for each job. Manages forecasting for labor needs according to projected contract obligations.
- Oversees quality of work for all jobs. Ensures contract compliance. Trains Foremen to execute contract requirements for each job.
- Manages customer relationships. Communicates professionally and respectfully with on-site contacts and nurtures existing customer relationships.
- Performs site visits for potential business. Creates estimates. Collaborates with Director of Stewardship to maintain efficient estimating templates.
- Manages the DC Warehouse. Responsible for security and upkeep, both inside and exterior. Coordinates with Baltimore Warehouse Manager, as needed.
- Manages equipment, supplies and inventory for the department.
- Manages coordination of vehicle maintenance across the department, including routine service, repairs, and emissions.
- Manages the training and productivity of Foremen in the off-season. This includes skills training and development, and internal account data management.
- Contributes to the development of each roof’s management strategy with goal of achieving full, healthy plant cover, and minimizing effort required to keep it that way.
- Thinks like an owner. Runs the operations of the department to achieve great customer experience, growth in business revenue and profitability.
- Bachelor’s Degree. High school (GED) education with proven experience considered.
- Minimum four years of green roof or landscaping operations management. Experience running multiple crews required.
- Proven experience with customer relationships and ability to communicate effectively with clients. Professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Analytical skills covering basic business calculations, including knowledge of Excel.
- Ability to use digital communication programs and devices, i.e. email, reporting software, time sheet app, iPad, laptop.
- Inventory management and equipment maintenance experience.
- Strong work ethic. Bias toward action.
- Detail-oriented, strong organizational skills.
- Clean driving record – three years minimum. Ability to drive work vans and pick-up trucks.
- OSHA 10 or 30 certification, or ability to attain.
- CPR/First Aid Certification, or ability to attain.
- General health, strength, and stamina to ensure reliable attendance and performance.
- Must pass a background check and drug screening.
- **COVID-19 Vaccination required.
- Competitive salary range: $70,000 – $85,000
- Benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision.
- 401(k) plan.
Send resumes to: [email protected]