Position: Green Roof Maintenance Team Leader
Employer: Living Roofs, Inc.
Location: Asheville, NC, USA
Founded in 2006, Living Roofs Inc. is an established expert and leader in the field of Green Roofs and Living Walls. We hold true to our pioneering spirit—designing, installing and maintaining projects from coast to coast. We have worked in urban and rural areas on projects both residential and public. Our dedication to a more colorful and sustainable future through the growth and development of Green Roofs is matched only by our commitment to our clients.
The Green Roof Maintenance Team Leader (GRMTL) is a specialized supervisory position. This position is recommended for horticultural professionals with specific knowledge of green roof plant strategies and practices, or for successful GRT2s with demonstrable maintenance experience and aptitude ready to take on more of a leadership role within the company. GRMTLs are regularly tasked with leading maintenance activities on projects. They ensure the crew is working safely and efficiently. GRMTLs may also support Construction Supervisors and some responsibilities may overlap.
- Maintain green roof plant communities in optimal conditions.
- Maintain green roof irrigation systems, base layers, substate layers, and hardscape components.
- Identify and mechanically remove weeds from established green roofs.
- Plant perennials, shrubs, and trees, and mix and spread seed as needed.
- Collect soil samples and interpret reports; recommend and apply soil amendments as needed.
- Plan and coordinate Maintenance visitation schedule and contact clients.
- Arrange accommodations for overnight travel.
- Delegate tasks to Green Roof Technicians and ensure crew safety at all times
- Document jobs thoroughly, including filling out and managing Maintenance Reports, Annual Client Reports, Contact Sheets, Maintenance Visit Sheets, and other assigned documents.
- Install green roofs; irrigation systems; paver pedestal systems
- Use power equipment, including drills, sawzalls, angle grinders, concrete saw, etc.
- Order and purchase plants, materials, tools and equipment as needed for jobs.
- Transport crew members, equipment, tools, and materials to job sites.
- Communicate with Living Roofs management, clients, and vendors.
- 3 years of specialized horticultural experience or documented horticultural education/training. Experience with irrigation systems (drip and spray) • Willing to work outdoors in all types of weather.
- Valid driver’s license, clean record.
- Able to travel regularly for project work; Able to lift 50 lbs.
- Knowledge of green roof plants and planting strategies and practices.
- Knowledge of Southeast and Mid-Atlantic native plants.
- Knowledge of irrigation design and repair
- Certifications/Training: First Aid/CPR, OSHA 10, Fall Protection
Pay/Benefits: $22-$25/HR. Following 90 days of employment, benefits to include accrued PTO, ability to participate in company retirement plan, 8 paid holidays (New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.