Position: Assistant Project Manager
Company: Recover Green Roofs
Location: Somerville, MA
Hours: Full-Time (32-45 hrs./week)
Compensation: $20-25/hr. based on relevant experience and education
Benefits: Health Insurance, Dental Plan, Telephone, Gym, PTO, Sick, Holidays, Continuing Education, Gear
Recover seeks a qualified applicant for the full-time, year-round position of Assistant Project Manager. The Assistant Project Manager provides in-field and remote project coordination from preconstruction phase through project completion under the direction of Recover’s Project Managers. This is a dynamic role requiring the ability to manage multiple, oftentimes competing priorities as well excellent organizational and communication abilities. Experience and proven success in the commercial construction industry is desired, and experience and/or keen interest in the green roofs, sustainable/LEED construction, and/or horticulture/landscaping is highly desired.
Assistant Project Managers are responsible for, though not limited to performing, the following tasks:
- Assist Recover’s Project Managers in developing, implementing, and effectively communicating the following relevant project-specific information to crews, subcontractors, clients, and Recover administrative and leadership teams:
- Project plans (incl. mobilization, material purchasing and deliveries, conveyance, traffic, staging, signage, equipment resource allocation, general construction, etc.)
- Project schedules (incl. overall project schedule, submittal schedule, construction schedule, application for payment schedule of values, etc.)
- Project Submittals (incl. generating submittals checklist per contract requirements and coordinating and managing all submittals, incl. but not limited to: RFIs, shop drawings, change orders, Site Impact Forms, warranties, O&M Manuals, etc.)
- Project-specific policies & procedures (incl. required PPE; Jobsite Hazard Analysis and Site-Specific Safety Plans; jobsite-specific rules regarding recycling, waste disposal, designated bathroom, eating, smoking, cell phone area policies, etc.)
- Weekly and monthly project-specific benchmarks and goals, incl. goals for pace and quality of finish relevant to contracted scopes, client expectations, and Recover’s internal processes and standards.
- Project organizational structures, incl. crew and subcontractor needs and associated roles and responsibilities.
- Manage Project-specific budgets, proposals & quotes (incl. initial estimates/BIDs, change orders, etc.)
- Perform site visits, take site measurements, and perform and/or assist in developing quantity take-offs, plans, elevations, details, schematic and developed layouts, feasibility analyses, zoning analyses, and/or related documentation.
- Assist Project Manager in purchasing and confirm materials quantities in close coordination with Site Superintendents and Recover’s Administrative team.
- Evaluate jobsite activities in close coordination with Project Manager and Site Supervisor to ensure compliance with company practices, state and federal laws and regulations, and contractual obligations. Make recommendations to company leadership team to resolve any concerns.
- Assist in keeping project schedule front-of-mind, including:
- Tracking project schedule and budget daily,
- Ensuring work-completed tracks with project schedule.
- Evaluating causes of delays and creating and implementing plans of action to redirect projects if deviations occur.
- Assist in timely reporting and documenting of schedule changes to client, contractor, vendors, and Recover’s internal teams to manage expectations and minimize adverse effect.
- Coordinate closely with Recover’s Administrative team regarding project-specific Schedule of Values, initial budgets, and subcontractor needs prior to start of work. Meet monthly or on project-appropriate schedule with Admin to prepare submission of Requisition. Confirm project-specific Accounts Payables and work with Admin to regularly monitor project expenditures.
- Ensure a timely project close-out, providing general contractor or owner with all applicable documents.
- Identify maintenance requirements outside of contract in coordination with Project Managers and ensure smooth hand-over to Recover’s Director of Maintenance.
- Be a positive and reliable steward of Recover in all client, vendor, and alliance partner interactions. Interface frequently with a wide range of company contacts, from commercial construction clients to high-end residential owners, architects, designers, structural engineers, vendors, and subcontractors.
- Provide technical and troubleshooting assistance/guidance to jobsite staff as needed, applying knowledge of jobsite practices and procedures to respond to project-related inquiries as they arise using sound discretion and judgment.
- Handle sensitive, critical, and highly confidential information and material.
- Occasionally assist in hands-on onsite field work and maintenance under the direct supervision of Recover Project Manager(s), including but not limited to: lifting objects of up to or approximately 50 lbs.; working on roofs in adverse weather conditions; handling, applying, and/or being exposed to fertilizers and/or potentially hazardous materials; and/or performing non-routine overnight travel based on business needs or on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Help maintain a clean and safe work environment on jobsites, in the offices and shops, and in Recover vehicles.
Assistant Project Managers are expected to complete tasks efficiently while following best safety practices and meeting our quality standards. As Recover is a growing company, this position has the potential to grow and develop considering our changing needs and subject to the successful completion of a standard 90-day evaluation period.
- Undergraduate Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture, or related degree required.
- Hands-on, in-field build and/or management experience desired.
- Experience and demonstrated success working in the commercial construction industry desired.
- Existing knowledge of green roof systems, horticulture/ecology, and experience with irrigation desired. If no prior experience, must have a keen interest in learning about these fields.
- Must be skilled in reading commercial construction documents, architectural drawings, renderings, etc.
- Fluency in Microsoft Suite, CAD / BIM / Vector Works, Scheduling Software (ie:SmartSheets), and Project Management software experience desired.
- Must be reliable with a strong ability to both take direction and work independently and proactively.
- Must have excellent powers of organization, communication, and critical thinking.
- Must have an innate attention-to-detail and the ability to self-pace.
- Must have good references that can attest to your work ethic.
- Valid driver’s license and comfort driving in Boston a plus.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- Must be comfortable working on roofs under adverse weather conditions.
- Routine and/or frequent lifting of loads up to or greater than 50-75 lbs.
- Occasional non-routine overnight travel based on business need.
- Occasional scheduled work required on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Handling of and/or exposure to potentially hazardous materials.
We are a small but growing Boston-based green roofing company working with clients to design, build, and maintain rooftop gardens, amenity spaces, roof decks, and farms throughout New England. Recover works with a wide array of clients – from universities to private residences to restaurants. If you’re passionate about plants, sustainable building, New England, and working with a rad group of people, this is a special opportunity to grow with a great company.
To apply, please email your resume to [email protected] and use the subject heading “Assistant Project Manager.”