In celebration of honoring Earth Day 2015 and our planet’s ecology through healthy, regenerative design, we are highlighting each of the 23 awesome videos from our 30+ spectacular speakers from Greenroofs.com‘s Greenroofs & Walls of the World Virtual Summit 2015 ~ Connecting the Planet with Living Architecture: People, Projects & Design, running through May 31st.
Our hope is that by familiarizing you more with each presentation and its particular benefits, you will be enticed to join us during our wonderfully easy-to-navigate online Virtual Summit! And, along with the speakers’ input, I will identify 5 Key Learning Objectives or “takeaway” bullet points that each video presentation provides to participants.
Today we are spotlighting the individual presentation “Greening the World Inside and Outside” by the soft spoken and highly knowledgeable Mark Paul, a greatly lauded Australian horticulturalist and founder of The Greenwall Company. He has designed around 300 greenwall projects and similar number of gardens and roofs.
Although we’ve been familiar with Paul’s excellent work, and have in fact highlighted several of his projects over the years as one of our “Project of the Week” features, we only met him last October in Sydney, where he and I both spoke at the wonderful World Green Infrastructure Congress 2014.
Paul has traveled around the world studying and collecting new plants for greenroofs and in particular, greenwalls, and his presentation is just this – a trip around the horticulture world, from Brazil to Borneo – showing a huge variety of inspirations and projects.
He says “Greenwalls can be used to produce instant ‘greenspace’ both inside and out. These beautiful structures of greenery bring new life and nature back into urban environments.” This becomes very evident with this presentation!
Sydney, Australia. “Over the past 25 years Mark Paul, founder of The Greenwall Company and a qualified horticulturist, has become a name synonymous with reclaiming the built environment, a passion he has had since childhood. Mark’s most recent achievements range from completion of one of the tallest greenwalls in Australia, implementation of a community schools program through to tailor-made residential installations in homes nation-wide. To date, Mark Paul has reclaimed thousands of sqm of the built environment.
Mark has pioneered a number of greenwalls and greenroof innovations with his formative landscape experiences and scientific background which has allowed for much experimentation, trial and testing with planting techniques, medias and methodology (and technology). These developments have put The Greenwall Company as a leader for greenwall and greenroofs in Australia. The Greenwall Company vision is to reclaim the built environment by clothing the facades of buildings with epiphytic and lithophytic planting to create a living, breathing architectural function to every building.“ ~ Read his complete bio here from the VS2015.
You will benefit from these 5 Key Learning Objectives as Mark Paul shares on the subject:
1) Our affinity with plants: Learn about his love for plants and holistic approach to site planning, how he started with epiphytes, lithophytes, and others in Rio de Janeiro with amazing plants living on cliff faces, surviving on seasonal rain, inspirations from “Granny Gardens” in Brazil;
2) Appropriate species of plant types and associations found on rocks, granite boulders, sandstone escarpment walls and more from Brazil, Dominican Republic, Sydney, Panama; and the importance of biodiversity and how to encourage and conserve it;
3) Typologies: Photos and discussions of various architectural applications and planting techniques including walls, roofs, balconies, terraces, boats, pocket plantings, and potted plants from Puerto Rico to Panama to China;
4) Many case studies of retrofits including gorgeous wetland and bog greenroof and greenwall projects with fish using recycled water and wastewater for irrigation in Sydney and Queensland and how to create a tiny ecosytstem on a mini scale;
5) In depth case study about a recent 10 sqm greenwall in a fabella in Rio where they collected, processed, planted, and linked 600 PEP bottles participating with school children; a collaboration with Landcare Australia will provide $3000 necessary for funding of future raw material and irrigation systems to allow 400 schools a year to do the same, including in Australia and New Zealand.
Watch the 21:12 video presentation “Greening the World Inside and Outside” by Mark Paul now playing at the Greenroofs & Walls of the World Virtual Summit 2015. If you have not yet registered (only $49 or 25), please do:
$49 – special discounted pricing;
$25 for students/faculty and government professionals
All Video Presentations, Q & A Transcripts, & Exhibitor Booths are On Demand +
Networking Live 24/7 through May 31, 2015
Registration Open through May 31st for the Greenroofs.com Virtual Summit 2015
We hope you will support our work! Please remember that these video presentations will not be made public for at least one year.
Happy watching and participating,
~ Linda V.
Learn more about these awesome video presentations and their 5 Key Learning Objectives at the Greenroofs & Walls of the World Virtual Summit 2015:
“A Green Building Should Look Green, Which Means Hairy!” by Dr. Ken Yeang.
“Biodiversity in the Sky – How Green Roofs Can Be Designed as Wild Life Refuges” by Dr. Stephan Brenneisen.
“Green Roofs to New Cities” by Dr. Diana Balmori.
“Biosolar Roofs” by Nathalie Baumann and Dusty Gedge.
“From Passive House to the Cold North—How Vegetative Envelope Components Impact Buildings” Panel with Dr. Bob Cameron, Dr. Allen Lee, Dr. Karen Liu, and Chris Wark.
“Greening Rooftops in Alberta: People, Place + Projects” by Kerry Ross.