Each week you can expect to learn Whatâ€™s New here on Greenroofs.com through our â€œThis Week in Reviewâ€ video. Â Here is the transcript from August 10, 2012 from our daughter, Anjuli â€“ click on the photo below to see the video, or here. Â Enjoy!
– Hello, Iâ€™m Anjuli VelÃ¡zquez and welcome to â€œThis Week in Reviewâ€ for Â on GreenroofsTV.
– Project of the Week
-Â Our project of the week is theÂ Auckland International Airport Novotel Hotel Green Wall built in 2011, in Auckland, New Zealand. Â Their website describes the Square Restaurant & Bar, where the green wall is located, as bringing â€œtogether exquisite cuisine, fine design and impeccable service with an unmistakably New Zealand sense of hospitality.â€ Â It is open 24 hours a day, and features â€œa stunning â€˜living wall,â€™ [it is] the perfect place to relax with friends or colleagues. Â Enjoy an extensive selection of New Zealand wines and beers, artfully mixed cocktails and gourmet snacks as you soak up the relaxing atmosphere.â€
The green wall has an array of native New Zealand flora, including cascading ferns and pan-pacific creepers. Â Completed last year, the two-story green wall was designed, built and installed by Natural Habitats, and is nurtured by a hydroponic system. Â It improves the indoor air quality by removing air pollutants and raising humidity levels, and it provides visual interest and environmental benefits, creating a more comfortable and relaxing work environment. Â The Auckland International Airportâ€™s Novotel Hotel was awarded silver in the Spatial Design category at the 2011 Best Awards.
- To learn more about the Auckland International Airport Novotel Hotel Green Wall,Â click on our project of the week photo on our homepage (or on the above photos).
-Â Weâ€™d like to welcome Optigreen International AG, our new advertiser! Â They are one of the leading companies in the green roof industry out of Germany. Â Look for one of their greenroofs featured as our Project of the Week coming very soon!
– Advertiser Press Releases:
-Â Skyland USA Has Added Another Product to the Growing Portfolio of roofliteÂ® Certified Green Roof Media Products: roofliteÂ® Intensive Ag.
- Industry News
-Â American Rivers released their latest white paper, â€œGrowing Green: How Green Infrastructure Can Improve Livability and Public Health.â€ Â They explore how green infrastructure practices can mitigate the urban heat island effect and provide a number of other public health benefits.
-Â Sky Gardens Blog
– Over at Sky Gardens, check out Lindaâ€™s latest post:Â â€œGreenroofs.comâ€™s â€˜This Week in Reviewâ€™ on GreenroofsTV: August 3, 2012.â€
– Guest Bloggers
– And check out Dr. Nigel Dunnettâ€™s guest blog post about the â€œLondon Olympic Park: Star of the Show,â€ along with Dr. Steven Cohanâ€™s guest blog post about the upcoming â€œGreen Roof Research Summit at the University of Maryland on August 16-17, 2012.â€
– â€œUpcoming Eventsâ€
-Â August 14th-16th: is the Ag Progress Days, at Penn Stateâ€™s College of Agricultural Sciences, in Rock Springs, Pennsylvania. #agprogress
-Â Also August 14th-16th: is the Plantscape Industry Expo 2012, in Las Vegas, Nevada. @PIAgrows
-Â August 15th-18th: is the Urban Agriculture Summit, in Toronto, Canada. @urbanagsummit
-Â August 16th-17th: is the 2012 Mid-Atlantic Green Roof Science and Technology Symposium at the University of Maryland, in College Park, Maryland.
-Â And August 16th-18th: is Boston GreenFest 2012, in Boston, Massachusetts. @BosGreenFest
– â€œIn the Newsâ€
-Â Novia D. Rulistia of the Jakarta Post, says â€œVertical gardens take root and flourish in green zone.â€ Â The Indonesia Greenwall office is one of several buildings and houses in Jakarta that utilizes green walls. Â Decky Rinawan of Indonesia Greenwall says, â€œthe building itself has become a showroom for what vertical gardening can achieve. It shows everyone who is interested in helping make the city greener what can be done with technology and imagination.â€
Last year the building underwent a makeover so it could feature the hanging garden of Harmoni and now features 339 square meters of vertical gardening.
– Ryan Gilbert of the Hartford Courant, talks about â€œScience Centerâ€™s Garden In Full Bloom With Flora And Grasshoppers.â€ Â The Connecticut Science Center opened its rooftop garden in May, and has become a popular attraction for both children and adults alike to enjoy native plants, views of downtown Hartford, the Connecticut River and the nearby countryside.
The 6,316-square-foot rooftop garden has several micro climates including a shade garden, an alpine garden and a childrenâ€™s sensory garden. Â Some of the foliage include: blueberry bushes, strawberry plants, canna lilies, prickly pear cactus, various herbs and milkweeds. Â The Science Center is LEED-Gold certified and was recently certified as a monarch butterfly way-station. They are offering free admission to Hartford residents in the month of August. Â Check out their website (ctsciencecenter.org) for more information on tickets.
– To learn more about these stories and new ones posted daily, go to our In the News or Newslinks section of our website.
– Send us your green articles, videos and images to firstname.lastname@example.org and share your greenroof or greenwall info with the world!
– Make sure to keep up with everything Greenroofs.com by following us on Twitter, liking us on Facebook, being a member of our network on LinkedIn, and subscribing to our greenroofsTV channel on YouTube!
– This has been This Week in Review forÂ August 10th, 2012Â on GreenroofsTV. Â Iâ€™m Anjuli VelÃ¡zquez and Iâ€™ll see you next week!
*This weekâ€™s episode is sponsored by The Greenroof Directory, brought to you by Greenroofs.com.*
Did we miss something? Â We’d love to hear from you!
~ Linda V.