Hello readers and fellow colleagues,
I hope you have all been enjoying your holidays with family and friends with an eye towards the New Year – especiallyÂ after our collective escape from the dire but thankfully misled (or misinterpreted) MayanÂ predictions on the winter solstice of 12.21.12!
Kidding aside, we here at Greenroofs.comÂ have simply been swamped since late summer with various milestones including our trips to Chicago followed immediately by 2 weeks in China, not to mention orchestrating our 2nd annualÂ Greenroofs & Walls of the Worldâ„¢ Virtual Summit 2013.
And, by the way, I couldn’t make it to The International Green Conference in Bangalore, India last month – a recent bout with upper respiratory problems were aggravated with all the traveling and I developed ear issues and was told not to fly for a few months. Â I was extremely upset but everyone told me that the Conference was wonderful.
And so I’ve been very behind in my various blog posts ~ so one of my New Year’sÂ resolutionsÂ is to catch up here at Sky Gardens with the following blog posts:
- On a personal note, most of you who have been following us for years know that I have been an international flight attendant with Delta Air Lines for a long time (hey, I didn’t want to give up my “day” job until I knew this greenroof gig would work out!)…well, as ofÂ SeptemberÂ 1, IÂ officiallyÂ retired after 33 years of loving (almost) every bit of it! Â I had theÂ privilegeÂ of working with the best people ever – the end of an era…
- The 10th Annual CitiesAlive Green Roof & Wall Conference in Chicago – what a great town! Â For now I will say it was great, one of the very best get-togethers we as an industry have enjoyed so far. Â If youÂ haveÂ photos to share, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org – there was a lot I missed and then Aramis and I had to leave Saturday morning following the conference since we left for Shanghai the next day and we missed out on all the tours (I also took a class on Wednesday, so I couldn’t go then, either).
- The World Green Infrastructure Network (WGIN) World Green Roof Congress in Hangzhou, China which was simply awesome! Â The resort was beautiful and the organization was amazing as there were at least 1,400 – 1,500 attendees – the largest crowd I’ve ever presented to before (I presented Haven Kiers’ and my “2012 Top 10 List of Hot Trends in Greenroof & Greenwall Design“).
We had a day of touringÂ followedÂ by 2 days of theÂ wonderfulÂ speakers, excellent food and hospitality, ending with another day of touring. Â EachÂ eveningÂ there was a celebratory feast – Professor Xianmin Wang and his awesome International Rooftop Landscaping Association (IRLA) team of William Wei, Lisa and many others are to be highly commended. Â We then followed thisÂ sumptuousÂ experience with an additiional 8 or 9 more days of once in aÂ lifetimeÂ touring aroundÂ China!
- All about ourÂ Greenroofs & Walls of the Worldâ„¢ Virtual Summit 2013Â on February 12 through March 13, 2013 -Â it’s going to be very different from last year. First of all, this time we’veÂ partneredÂ with theÂ World Green Infrastructure NetworkÂ and we’re thrilled to have them on board to provide an ever greater world stage.
You’ll enjoyÂ a full 30 days of scheduled and on demand video Keynotes, panel sessions, individual and combo presentations with a lot more interactive fun with scheduled live Q & A chatÂ sessionsÂ withÂ speakers and other greenroof & greenwall enthusiasts from around the globe, plus visiting theÂ Sponsor Spaces and Social Media Areas. Â Here are our 5 distinguished Keynotes:
New this year is the Prize Center where you’ll accumulate points for cool prizes; the Joblinks Lounge where you can post jobs wanted and view job openings; and the Inspiration Nook where you can post under 3-minute videos about your research idea, project, or poster boards (no commercial ventures!) and participate in scheduled chat discussions which will be included on the Agenda.
In order to feature our Sponsors and exhibitors, we will also offer 4 dedicated days – one per week – to our Expo Trade Show, each anchored by a Keynote Presentation and a Panel Discussion from leading authorities. Â By the way, we’d like to thank Tremco for once again committing their greenroof industry leadership through our highest level ofÂ SponsorshipÂ - the Rare Earth Sponsor!
Other Greenroofs.com News:
- Starting in the New Year, our “This Week in Review” news roundup video, hosted by our daughter Anjuli Velazquez, will come back as “This Month in Review.”
- We’re currently Â scheduling our “Greenroof or Greenwall Project of the Week” series – if you’d like to see your project highlighted, first of all we need to have a profile for it in the Greenroof & Greenwall Projects Database! Â (We are still backlogged with entries but hope to be up to date within a month).
We only spotlight profiles that have 10 or 11 photos and lots of descriptive content. Â People ask us if they have to be listed in the Greenroof Directory to be selected, and the answer is no – although we do highlight our advertisers about 4:1 as compared to non-advertisers for their loyalty.
Advertising with UsÂ is extremely affordable, and we certainly appreciate the support! Â Plus there’s no better place in our industry to have your company listed than with us, the #1 website in the world for greenroofs.
- And ordering ourÂ 2013 Greenroofs & Walls of the Worldâ„¢ Wall Calendar is still an inexpensive (only $9.95 including shipping & handling within the U.S.and Canada) and perfect last minute gift to ring in the New Year.
That’s it for now – we’d like to wish you and yours Seasons Greetings & a Happy New Year 2013!
~ Linda V. & all of us here at Greenroofs.com