Some of you may recall back a couple of years ago that Greenroofs.com was a semi-finalist in a competition from The Green on the Sundance Channel called â€œWhatâ€™s the Big Idea?” Contest with our 60-second video “Love the Earth, Plant a Roof!”Â While we didn’t win, the tag line stuck with me – simple and direct.Â April 22, 2010 marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day and we are excited toÂ honor Earth Day, really the entire Earth Month of April, with our first photo contest ever!
The “Love the Earth, Plant a Roof!” Photo Contest is designed to be quick, simple, and fun.Â Any and all types of greenroofs are eligible, any place on Earth.Â Send us* your favoriteÂ shot ofÂ that special greenroofÂ which graphically epitomizes its relationship to our planet – how it is a living example of loving the Earth.Â We’ll be keeping everyone updatedÂ on Greenroofs.comÂ with a special page for all the contest photos, and on Twitter.
Tell us how it is a living example inÂ 285 characters or less for the write up on the Love the Earth, Plant a Roof! Voting Page next to your thumbnail photo toÂ letÂ people why they should vote for this particular project andÂ you.Â Include a photo source/credit, not part of the 285 count.
For the Greenroofs.com tweet, pare it down toÂ the meat and bonesÂ in 120 charactersÂ for all to see (we need 20 characters for the link to your photo – so peopleÂ can click and vote immediately!).Â Â Don’t follow us on Twitter yet?Â Do so here.
Here’s an example for inspiration – this precious child is my own grandson, Nicky, at The Greenroof Pavilion and Trial Gardens of Rock Mill Park here in Alpharetta, Georgia, USA:
Example tweetÂ @ 120 characters:
Vote Rock Mill Park! The design honors the land & Cherokee heritage with hands-on models & signage for young and old.
The contest is open to everyone, not just the roof owner or the designers of record.Â And voting is open to everyone, too, as many times as you like, so tell your friends to vote for your submission!
Entries will be accepted today and voting will be open to everyone until Wednesday, April 28 at 5:00 p.m. EST – but, of course, you’ll increase your chances of receiving the most votes by entering early!Â Enter now and rally your forces – don’t delay.
Vote as often as you wish by clicking on your selected photo.Â Include your real name and contact info or it will be discarded.
The winner will be announced on the last day of Earth Month, Friday, April 30, 2010,Â inÂ our Top 10 ListÂ for theÂ ”Love the Earth, Plant a Roof!” Photo Contest.Â The winner will have “their” project highlighted on Greenroofs.com asÂ an upcomingÂ Greenroof Project of the Week andÂ we’ll feature you in a Sky Gardens interview so you can really tell us more about this living roof and why you love it so much.
And, as a humble token of our esteem, the winner will also receive your choice ofÂ a $100 gift card to either The Home Depot or Lowe’sÂ for your spring projects or just a good old fashioned check!
- ~ You can enter as often as you wish, but only one photo per project for the Contest (send more photos and project description for the blog post if you win, but send the contest photo clearly identified as such).
- ~ It has to be a real project, no Photoshopping!
- ~ Didn’t take the photo yourself?Â Make sure you credit the source and check for any copyright issues – we’re not liable!
- ~ Don’t break any laws or bones while taking the photos!
- ~ Minimum size: 491 x 367
- ~ And, obviously, by submitting the photo you agree to its being published.
* Include your real name and contact information; a 120-character including spaces description for the tweetÂ starting withÂ ”Vote (Name of Project)!…”; a 285-characterÂ including spaces (or less) description for the write up including Name of Project, City, State, and/or Country; any additional photos in case you win, but that can come later.
Submit away and good luck – start telling your friends now!Â Vote for your favorite here on the Love the Earth, Plant a Roof! Voting Page.
Happy Greening for the Earth, ~ Linda V.