Position: Horticultural Maintenance Intern
Company: Recover Green Roofs
Location: Somerville, MA
Hours: Flexible (Full or part-time available), depending upon individual availability and Recover needs
Recover seeks a qualified applicant for a spring/summer Horticulture Intern. For full-time applicants, this position will typically range between 32-40 hours/week.
This is a dynamic role responsible for, though not limited to performing, the following tasks:
- Assist in the hands-on installation, maintenance, and/or remediation of green roof projects, incl. planting, weeding, and related work on extensive/intensive green roof systems, planters, meadows, and interiorscapes, as required, applicable, and appropriate based on project needs and demonstrated skill level.
- Carry out standard horticultural practices including weeding, planting, pruning, and fertilizing.
- Provide general assistance to Horticulture Director, PMs, Site Supervisors, and crew, both on and offsite.
- Help maintain a clean and safe work environment on job sites, in the office/shop, and in Recover vehicles.
- Off-site work may include plant sourcing and material pick-ups from local and wholesale nurseries.
- Administrative work may include completing maintenance reports, improving maintenance protocols, organizing maintenance materials in shop, and supporting tasks of Horticulture & Maintenance Director.
Horticulture Interns are expected to complete tasks efficiently while following best safety practices and meeting our quality standards.
- Horticultural – Must have hands-on experience working with perennials, shrubs, and outdoor plantings, or comparable educational experience/degree in Horticulture, Environmental Science, Forestry, Biology, Agroecology, Landscape Design/Architecture, etc.
- Knowledge of plant growth habits, overwintering practices, soil/water/feeding needs, plant pathology, organic pest management, and New England’s plant palettes desired.
- Irrigation – Hands-on experience with automated irrigation systems, incl. drip and sprinkler, a plus.
- Must be reliable with a strong ability to both take direction and work independently.
- Must have excellent powers of communication and critical thinking skills.
- Must have an innate attention-to-detail and the ability to self-pace.
- Must have good references that can attest to your work ethic.
- Valid driver’s license with comfort driving and parking in Boston a plus.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
- Must be comfortable working on roofs and utilizing ladders under adverse weather conditions.
- Routine and/or frequent lifting of loads up to or greater than 50-75 lbs.
- Occasional non-routine overnight travel based on business need.
- Occasional scheduled work required on evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Handling of and/or exposure to potentially hazardous materials.
We are a small but growing Boston-based green roofing company working with clients to design, build, and maintain rooftop gardens, amenity spaces, roof decks, and farms throughout New England. Recover works with a wide array of clients – from universities to private residences to restaurants. If you’re passionate about plants, sustainable building, New England, and working with a rad group of people, this is a special opportunity to grow with a great company and see some of the best views of the city!
Please submit resume and a brief description of your interests and availability to email@example.com, subject heading “Applications for Horticulture Intern”.