Each week you can expect to learn What’s New here on Greenroofs.com through our “This Week in Review” video. Here is the transcript from July 6, 2012 from our daughter, Anjuli – click on the photo below to see the video, or here. Enjoy!
– Hello, I’m Anjuli Velázquez and welcome to “This Week in Review” for July 6th, 2012 on GreenroofsTV.
– Our project of the week is the Hotel Gaia-B3 Vertical Ecosystem built in 2012 in Bogotá, Colombia. B3 Hotels are a Colombian-born brand of select service hotels located in key markets throughout the country for the budget conscious business traveler. The Hotel Gaia-B3 Vertical System was completed on March 1, 2012, with more than 25,000 plants representing 55 different species covering 400 square meters and 8 floors.
The project involved a lot of research and planning; and prior investigation of appropriate plants was conducted by the Spanish firm Paisajismo Urbano in local tropical forest jungles, resulting in 40% local native plants being used. The hydroponic Vertical Ecosystem will allow local species to self-pollinate and it carries biological nutrients and pest repellent which is recycled through the remotely controlled irrigation system. To the delight of its owners, the Hotel Gaia-B3 vertical garden has become quite popular in Bogotá and has turned into its own tourist attraction.
– Greenroofs & Walls of the World™ Virtual Summit 2011 Video
– Watch our Greenroofs & Walls of the World™ Virtual Summit 2011 Closing Address by Linda Velazquez.
And find the rest of the videos in this series on our GreenroofsTV page and/or our greenroofsTV YouTube channel.
– Hamline University Tops Off Anderson Center with [an] 1,800-Square-Foot LiveRoof ® Green Roof with Plants Grown Locally by Bachman’s.
– Over at Sky Gardens, check out Linda’s latest posts: “Greenroofs & Walls of the World™ Virtual Summit 2011 Closing Address,” and “Greenroofs.com’s “˜This Week in Review’ on GreenroofsTV: June 29, 2012.”
– “Upcoming Events“
– Going on since July 4th and through the 10th: is the 2012 Perennial Plant Symposium, in Boston, MA.
– July 7th-15th: is the Singapore Garden Festival 2012, in Singapore. (Follow @SGGardenFest)
– And July 12th: is a Green Roof Symposium, in Oklahoma City, OK.
– “In the News“
– ENR.com talks about “Green Roofs Take Root in India.” They say green roofs and rooftop gardens are “gaining ground in India. Technology and climate is playing an important role in their environmental payback.” The Confederation of Indian Industry’s Sohrabji Godrej Green Business Centre (CII-Godrej GBC) was one of the first commercial buildings in India to have a green roof and it houses the India Green Building Council.
Green roofs mitigate the urban heat island effect, minimize a building’s impact on the micro-climate and living habitat, cool the interiors of buildings, and the plants reduce CO2 levels in the air and overall pollution. According to India’s census last year, urbanization is expected to touch 40% of the population by 2021, and planning authorities have designated 533 infrastructure projects worth about $11.1 billion to meet this demand. Green roofs are the smart way to go with this projected increase in urbanization.
– Darren Quick of Gizmag, says “Eco-friendly ATM accesses environmental savings.” Brazil’s Edra Equipamentos has created an eco-friendly ATM booth made from environmentally friendly recycled materials. A photovoltaic solar panel on the roof powers the booth’s LED lighting at night, and during the day, natural light comes through a clear “Solatube” system coated with a 3M film that blocks more than 80% of infrared rays to help keep the inside cool.
The roof can also be fitted with a rainwater collector, making it possible to grow plants. And the booth also features an automatic door and an entry ramp for wheelchair access.
– To learn more about these stories and new ones posted daily, go to our In the News or Newslinks section of our website.
– Send us your green articles, videos and images to email@example.com and share your greenroof or greenwall info with the world!
– Make sure to keep up with everything Greenroofs.com by following us on Twitter, liking us on Facebook, being a member of our network on LinkedIn, and subscribing to our greenroofsTV channel on YouTube!
– This has been This Week in Review for July 6th, 2012 on GreenroofsTV. I’m Anjuli Velázquez and I’ll see you next week!
*This week’s episode is sponsored by The Greenroof Directory, brought to you by Greenroofs.com.*
Did we miss something? We’d love to hear from you!
~ Linda V.