Well folks, it’s that time of year again. Linda and I have been burning the midnight oil trying to finalize this year’s Top 10 List of Hot Trends in Greenroof Design, and we’re looking for input from you, our faithful Greenroofs.com readers.
Have you seen any outstanding green roof projects this year or in the past few years? Is there anything that stands out in terms of great design? Did you design a greenroof that you think needs a little extra recognition? We’re searching for all types of greenroofs – sleek and modern, esoteric, big or small, built or proposed.
Did you read my January Chic Sustainability Column, “A Look Back at the 2008 Top 10 Hot Trends in Greenroof Design Survey?” To refresh your memory, last year we singled out the following 10 greenroof trends:
10) Client Specific “˜Boutique’ Greenroofs
9) PreFab Modular Homes are Fabulous
8) Greenroofs as Art & Architecture
7) Parks & Interpretive Greenroof Spaces
6) Solar & Vegetative Roofs as High Performance Buildings
5) Greenroofs for Biodiversity
4) Institutional & Office Parks – Setting the Example
3) Eco-Communities & Eco-Cities
2) Sky High Cool Green Schools
1) The Influence of LEED on Design Professionals = Pushing the Green Envelope
And this is our “working” Top 10 List for 2009:
10) Unique Driving Factors/Boutique Greenroofs: “Mother Nature Meets Lady Luck” – Greenroof Casinos; Living Billboards, and more!
9) “Ecological” Gas Stations?
8) Heavenly Gardens – Religious Institutions Embracing Living Design
7) Design Competitions Promoting Future Inspiration
6) Green Buildings Creating Green Collar Jobs & Spurring the Industry
5) LID (Low Impact Development) Strategies: Celebrating Water with Greenroofs, Rain Gardens & Green Streets
4) Technological Advances – Faster, Cheaper, & Better Materials
3) The “Green Factor” – Policy Driving Ecological Development
2) Mayoral Initiatives – Championing the Green Machine
1)”Towers of Power” – Mega Vertical Structures Linking Earth and Sky
What do you think? Have you noticed any new greenroof trends this year? What are the forces driving new projects? Has the economy had an effect on the number or type of greenroofs being built? What role has the new Obama administration had on greenroof projects?
Send your suggestions, thoughts, website links, and photos by March 18th to the following email address:
We can’t wait to see what you come up with!
3 replies to "2009 Top 10 List of Hot Trends in Greenroof Design"
looks like i missed the deadline to submit, so i’m leaving a comment instead! one of our architects came up with a really cool green roof – take a look!mygreenpalette.com/projects/detail/94
Do you think I can reasonably add a green roof to my old carriage house with an angled roof that’s about 10 years old??
Beautiful works of art and who doesn’t love a top 10 list! Green roofs are the only practical solution for large cities. Some friends and I just started
The Living Walls Blog we are teachers and gardeners who would love to see more designs like these in San Diego.
Comments are closed.